Pension & taxation

Here you can find how to contact HMRC for answers to your tax related questions including where to go for additional information. 

HMRC’s contact details are as follows:

From the UK: 0300 200 3300 (Lines are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm on Saturdays).

If you are calling from abroad: +44 135 535 9022

If you are hearing or speech impaired, there is a text phone service: 0300 200 3319 

Lines are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm on Saturdays.

When calling HMRC, you should have your National Insurance number and the Scheme PAYE reference number to hand. The MPS PAYE reference number is 083/MPS.

Tax Help for Older People: Certain Scheme members can contact UK-based charity, Tax Help for Older People (“Tax Help”), for free tax guidance and support. Please click here, and then click on the “Financial Guidance” tab, for more information.

How do I contact HMRC online?

Details can be found at

Be sure to include your National Insurance number and the Scheme PAYE reference number. The MPS PAYE reference number is 083/MPS.

We also have all HMRC contact details in the Contact us section of the Scheme’s website.

What is HMRC's website address?

HMRC’s website can be found at

Or you can get general information on how pensions are taxed from the Government’s website

How do I write to HMRC?

You can write to:

HM Revenue & Customs
Pay as you Earn and Self-assessment
HM Revenue & Customs

Be sure to include your National Insurance number and the Scheme PAYE reference number. The MPS PAYE reference number is 083/MPS.

What tax code will be applied to my first pension payment?

Your first pension payment is taxed using the current emergency tax code. Once your first pension payment has been made, details of your pension are sent to HMRC who then provide the Scheme administrator with the correct tax code to use for future payments.

Overseas pensioners are treated in the same way for their first pension payment and will initially pay tax. If you live overseas and do not think you should pay UK tax please contact HMRC; if they agree they will provide the Scheme Administrator with a revised tax code.

Can you estimate my future tax and net payments?

We cannot provide estimates of tax deductions or of the actual amount of pension which will be paid to you, as these are based on information provided by HMRC. The Government’s website gives an explanation of how pensions are taxed at

Have you received my new tax code?

When you get a new tax code from HMRC, the same information will normally have been sent to the Scheme Administrator. If the Scheme Administrator receives the new code too late to make the change for the next pension payday, it will be used from the following month. If this happens, HMRC will let you know whether you have paid too much tax, or not enough.
Why are you using this tax code and deducting this amount of tax?

The Scheme Administrator can only use tax codes that are provided to them by HMRC. If you have any queries about your tax code you should contact HMRC in one of the ways outlined above.

Why is no tax being deducted from my pension?

The Scheme Administrator will apply the tax code they have received from HMRC and deduct the tax that is due. If tax is not being deducted, it might be that you are earning below the level at which you start to pay tax.

Who can help with my tax affairs or a tax demand from HMRC which I can't afford to pay?

HMRC will not discuss a member’s tax affairs with us, so you will need to contact HMRC direct, using one of the contact methods outlined above. If you are unable to pay a tax demand you should let HMRC know as soon as possible. HMRC may allow you to repay the tax due in instalments.

Are National Insurance contributions deducted from my pension?

No. You do not pay National Insurance contributions on any payments that you receive from a pension scheme.