Useful Contacts

Pension queries

The Administration Office will be able to help with information about Scheme benefits. Write to:

Mineworkers’ Pension Scheme
Sutherland House, Russell Way
Crawley RH10 1UH
Phone: 0345 606 4444 (UK Lo-call number)
Phone: 0121 415 0289 (UK STD number)
Phone: (+44) 121 415 0289 (abroad standard charge number)

The Trustees take their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act very seriously and if you contact the Administration Office, you will be required to answer some security questions before any information can be provided.

Scheme information and Trustee policy

The Trustees’ Office will be able to help you with information about the Scheme and Trustee policy. Write to:

MPS Scheme Secretary
Coal Pension Trustees Service Limited
Ventana House, 2 Concourse Way, Sheffield, S1 2BJ
Phone: 0114 253 6444

Questions about tax

If your total retirement income is greater than your personal income tax allowance, then your Scheme pension will be subject to income tax in the same way as earnings.

Staff at the Administration Office may be able to help with some enquiries about any tax deducted from Scheme pensions. However, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is usually best placed to answer questions about liability for tax and how this is assessed in detail. For any detailed questions about tax, write to:

Pay as You Earn
PO Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX
Phone: 0300 200 3300

In order to answer an enquiry, HMRC will ask for your National Insurance number and the reference 083/MPS.

Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO)

CISWO was established as an independent national charity upon privatisation of the coal industry for the delivery of Community & Personal Welfare Services to those who work or have worked in the industry, and their families.

CISWO HQ can be contacted on 01709 728115

Problems and complaints

The Trustees aim to ensure that the Scheme is administered and managed to high standards. Please contact the Administration Office first with any query or problem about the MPS.

Where this does not resolve the matter, a formal complaint can be made through the Scheme’s own Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) procedure. The Scheme’s IDR Procedure complies with the requirements of Section 50 of the Pensions Act 1995.

Who can use the IDR procedure?

The IDR Procedure can be used by any MPS member, pensioner or deferred pensioner.
It is also available to the widow, widower, civil partner, child or other dependant of a
member who has died, to a pension credit member, and to a prospective beneficiary.
Anyone who used to be in these groups may also still use the procedure, but should
apply within 6 months of leaving or ceasing to be in the group.

How does the IDR procedure work?

A formal complaint should be made in writing to the Scheme Secretary, Coal Pension Trustees Services Limited, Ventana House, 2 Concourse Way, Sheaf Street, Sheffield S1 2BJ. The first stage involves the Scheme Secretary considering the complaint on the Trustees’ behalf. A decision on the complaint will normally be provided within two weeks, although complex matters may take a little longer. We aim to provide a decision within 4 months. If this is not possible, we will provide an interim reply giving reasons for any delay and an expected date for the decision.

How to take a complaint further

Where the Scheme Secretary’s decision does not resolve the matter, the Trustees can be asked to consider the complaint. This is the second stage of the Dispute Resolution procedure. The Trustees will usually be able to give their decision within 2 months of an appeal. They may confirm the decision of the Scheme Secretary or they may take a different view. In any case where the Trustees cannot give their decision within 4 months they will write to you, setting out reasons for the delay and an expected date for giving their decision.

If you are not satisfied with the Trustees’ decision, or would like any independent help at any stage, The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) can be contacted for help and advice. If TPAS is unable to resolve the complaint, the Pensions Ombudsman may be prepared to assist.

A guide to the Scheme’s IDR procedure is available on this website, or from the Administration Office.

The Pensions Advisory Service

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) can help with any complaint about the Scheme which cannot be resolved with the Administration Office or the Trustees.

TPAS is an independent voluntary organisation with locally based advisers who provide help and advice on pensions matters in confidence and free of charge. TPAS can be contacted at:

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)
11 Belgrave Road
London SW1V 1RB
Phone: 0845 601 2923

TPAS’ website is:

The Pensions Ombudsman

The Pensions Ombudsman, appointed by the Government, may investigate and decide any complaint or dispute of fact or law in relation to the Scheme made or referred to him in accordance with the Pension Schemes Act 1993.

Although they are separate organisations, the Pensions Ombudsman is at the same address as TPAS:

The Pensions Ombudsman
11 Belgrave Road
London SW1V 1RB
Phone: 020 7630 2200

The website is

The Registrar of Pension Schemes

The Scheme has provided the Registrar of Pension Schemes with details about the Scheme and a contact name and address. The Registrar holds a list of the up to date addresses of pension schemes to help former scheme members trace their pension rights.

The Pensions Tracing Service

Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1BA
Phone: 0845 6002 537

The website is:

The Pensions Regulator

The Pensions Regulator was established to protect the benefits of members of work-based pension schemes, to promote good administration of work-based pension schemes, and to reduce the risk of situations arising that may lead to claims for compensation from the Pension Protection Fund. With its separate Government Guarantee, the MPS is not eligible to join the Pension Protection Fund.

The Pensions Regulator issues codes of practice and guidance on how to comply with pensions legislation.

The Regulator is able to intervene in the running of schemes where trustees, employers or professional advisers have failed in their duties.

The address at which the Regulator may be contacted is:

The Pensions Regulator
Napier House
Trafalgar Place, Brighton, BN1 4DW

The Regulator’s website is: